Log in
Article search:

Q & A

What and where are the chine flanges?

On a survey on a boat we are considering buying the survey says ' the chine flanges have eroded leaving some 8mm along the sides, this is sufficient for weekend use but new flanges would have to welded on if extended cruising is anticipated'. Having searched the Internet can't find anything on chine flanges... Please can someone help us as we really like the narrowboat but also worried that we could be buying something that is bad

Asked by: aaron tweed  | 11.16pm, Thursday 26 February

WW says:

I think that the surveyor has used the term "Chine flanges" to describe what is more commonly referred to as the sacrificial chine. This is where the hull sides are welded to the base plate, which is then cut off leaving about 15/20mm protruding. This acts as a rubbing strake as it is usually the first part of the side to rub against the bottom or canal structures. It is important that the amount protruding is monitored as excessive wear will damage the weld ultimately giving a leak; however 8mm is fine for the time being and the best remedy is to get a 50mm strip of 8mm steel welded underneath at the thinnest points to provide extra wear resistance. This is easily done at the next docking.

Rupert Smedley  | 4.02PM, Friday 27 February

Readers say:

Could they mean chimney flanges?

sinead  | 3.22PM, Friday 27 February

You must log in to post an answer.