Log in
Article search:

Q & A


What is the best type of inverter for a live aboard boat with extended cruising in mind and which system is best ie stand alone or to have 2 inverters in a piggy back system

Asked by: Tom Grocott  | 5.29pm, Wednesday 13 January

WW says:

The type of inverter is dictated by the type of equipment it is wished to operate; simple motor driven tools and hair driers etc will work fine with a simpler quasi sine wave inverter, but items such as microwave ovens and washing machines with electronic displays and timers are better with a true sine wave inverter.
When calculating the power requirement it is important to allow a good margin to allow for the sometimes quite high initial switch on surge currents from appliances such as microwave ovens.
Do Not under any circumstances attempt to connect together two inverters or different sources of mains electricity to increase the power. This will result in failure and probably fire or electric shock.
When considering any inverter on a boat it is important to look at the available battery power and the charging equipment, as the battery drain can be considerable.

Rupert Smedley  | 11.34AM, Thursday 14 January

Thanks Simon for that information, it would need the inverters to synchonize with each other.

Rupert Smedley  | 6.31PM, Monday 25 January

Readers say:

Certain manufacturers (for example Victron Energy) permit two identical inverters to be paralleled. But professional installation only on this front as it requires special settings. A reason why to do this is to enable an AC power source to be still available even if one of the inverters has an issue - it gives you a measure of redundency.
Only available on the larger boxes of course

sb  | 11.28AM, Sunday 24 January

You must log in to post an answer.