Log in
Article search:

Q & A

safety certificate

2 questions first do I have to have a bubble tester for the gas test and what are the filter requirements for engine bay bilge pump if the engine has its own section boxed in .

Asked by: mick turner  | 2.17pm, Tuesday 15 March

WW says:

Firstly- a bubble tester is not required for the Boa tSafety Examination- as long as there is a gas test point fitted in the pipework. However, there are good reasons for fitting a bubble tester- it enables you to regularly check the integrity of the gas system (rather than waiting for a BSS every 4 years) and some examiners will not be able to test the system, if they are not GasSafe registered, and the boat is used as a primary residence (there is more information on the BSS Website about this).
If the engine has a closed in (drip tray) section under the engine, which also includes the gearbox, and the bilge pump is fitted outside of this containment area, then no filter is required. If the bilge pump draws from this area, then a inline filter will be required- however, if would be worth ensure that the engine drip tray is separate- and kept dry- with other bilge water taken from outside this space.
The area under the engine/gearbox must be of sufficient depth that other bilge water does not flow in, and it has the capacity to hold all the oil within the engine/gearbox should it leak out- the latter is not an issue. An overflowing trip tray into the rest of the bilge would generally be considered an issue...
I hope that helps- and I am sure that my colleague Rupert will comment further, as he is a BSS examiner.

Mark Langley  | 2.52PM, Tuesday 15 March

The "Boat Safety Scheme essential guide" and information contained here http://www.boatsafetyscheme.org/boat-examination/private-boats/ will give you all the information you need, if you follow the internal links.

Mark Langley  | 2.53PM, Tuesday 15 March

Although the diagram shown on the BSS website (the link will work if you remove the http:// bit) does show a bubble tester; this is the recommended type of installation. the bubble tester is not a requirement, but if it is fitted is must be inside the gas locker. As Mark has said; a bubble tester gives the boat owner the means to regularly check their system for peace of mind.
There must however be a means to test the system which is usually a test point. The fitting of a bubble tester to a residential boat will mean you can use any BSS examiner.
The filter requirements for a permanently installed bilge pump pumping from an oil tight area or engine drip tray is 5ppm discharge performance. This should be verifiable by a label on the filter or documentation.

Rupert Smedley  | 9.50AM, Wednesday 16 March

You must log in to post an answer.