Log in
Article search:

Q & A

What licence is needed

Could someone answer the following questions please.
What licences etc are needed to be in place when you move onto a boat?
What do you do about registering with doctors and dentists?
What do you do about a postal address/post?

Asked by: Dawn & Keith Bell  | 8.06am, Wednesday 9 August

WW says:

The licence you need depends on where the boat is when you move on and where you intend to use it. If it is on the main canal network, you need to apply to the Canal and River Trust Licensing Department. All the necessary information can be found on https://canalrivertrust.org.uk/enjoy-the-waterways/boating/licensing-your-boat. If you are on the Thames or some of the East Anglian rivers, you should contact the Environment Agency via /www.gov.uk/topic/environmental-management/boating.

  • As it looks as if you are planning to live on the boat, you can find the answers to many of the other things you need to know about by contacting the Residential Boat Owner's Association or RBOA for short. Their website - http://www.rboa.org.uk/ - has plenty of useful information and they publish a book called Living Afloat which deals with subjects like doctors, dentists, postal addresses and many more.

    Graham Booth  | 10.39AM, Wednesday 9 August

    You must log in to post an answer.