Log in
Article search:

Q & A

which primary fuel filter

I do not as yet have a primary fuel filter, which one would you recommend?. Also how are they retained within the engine bay?.

Asked by: Ady Kay  | 6.03pm, Thursday 23 November

WW says:

It is good practise not to rely solely on the engine fuel filter, but to have an additional filter between the engine and the tank. This should be of the water separating type to prevent any contamination clogging the finer filter on the engine.
The common type is the CAV filter with a filter element in the top part and a metal container below to catch any water; this can be periodically drained as part of the engine service. Plastic drain plugs and clear glass or plastic filter bowls are not allowed by the Boat Safety Scheme as they are not fire resistant; however the Fuel Guard filter has a clear plastic bowl that meets the fire resistance standard and a re-useable filter element.
The filter should generally be firmly mounted below the bottom of the tank and be connected with secured copper pipe-work or hoses to BS 7840.

Rupert Smedley  | 3.44PM, Friday 24 November

Flexible hoses are fine as long as they are marked BS EN ISO 7840- more information is available in the Boat Safety Scheme publications.
incidentally, the FuelGuard pre-filter as Rupert suggests, is an excellent product, as it prevents the vast majority of water and larger particles reaching the engine fuel fuel- and you can see if there is ontamination. The drain valve is pretected by a tools-to-remove plug, so you cannot accidentally open the drain- but it is quick to operate, allowing you to easily remove sludge and water.
The filter has a removeable elemebnt which can be carefully cleaned in fresh diesel, so it should never need replacing.
The filter comes with connections for solid pipe, or ribbed for hoses (and secured with clips) so your existing hoses may be fine if handled carefully.

Mark Langley  | 5.50PM, Monday 4 December

Readers say:

Thank you for your reply, the fuel line is all flexible from the bottom of the tank to the engine. Will require a complete new pipes on the whole of the run.

Ady Kay  | 10.41AM, Sunday 3 December

You must log in to post an answer.