Log in
Article search:

Q & A

Water tank problems

My 20yr. old narrowboat has a leak in it's stainless steel water tank, at the moment I don't want to take it out for repair. Do I have any options for a temporary repair

Asked by: Mick Lock  | 2.08pm, Monday 6 April

WW says:

If you can find the leak, it might be possible to drain the tank and then use epoxy resin and glass tape to seal it- however, there are two main drawbacks to this. The resin used needs to be suitable for potable (drinking) water- and getting the stuff to adhere correctly is not always easy.
Another option would be to get a specialist welder to either spot weld or weld a plate over the leak. Stainless steel is not the easiest metal to weld correctly, and not all boatyards will have the facility to do so.
A third option, but only if the tank has an access hatch, is to add a flexible "plastic" liner inside, to act as a tank-within-tank. Plastimo and Vetus make such flexible tanks, but they are not a cheap option.
Good luck, and let us know how you approached this- and how successful it has been.

Mark Langley  | 5.27PM, Monday 6 April

You must log in to post an answer.