Log in
Article search:

Q & A

Instant water heaters

I'm looking at buying a boat which only has a calorifier which is no good as there are days when work means I won't be able to run the engine. I was told that as the boat was built in 2005 I can't fit an instant water heater but I can't find any info in the boat safety guidelines indicating that this is true. Can anyone confirm or deny? Thanks

Asked by: Jenni McCalman  | 2.11pm, Saturday 13 February

WW says:

Hi Jenni
It might be cheaper and easier to consider heating the water in your calorifier using an immersion heater if 240 volt power is available, or alternatively, if your heating system uses a hot water boiler,using this to heat a calorifier with two coils.

Mike Jordan  | 8.01PM, Saturday 13 February

Regarding heaters using cavitation... Nothing is 100% efficient in energy conversion... and although interesting, they have not found widepspread use so far! And the kinetic energy required to operatre them (such as a motor) will most certainly not be efficient! To heat 10litres of waterfrom 10 to 70 deg C, using even a 100% efficient energy transfer system, would need a power supply of 700W for 1 hour (or a current draw of 58 amps for one hour...)
I digress anyway!...
It might be worth a call to the BSS office, to confirm the current standing regarding installation of instantaneous water heaters... there are also some balanced flue (room sealed) versions now available; Midland Chandlers stock one, so might be worth checking out their website.
Being room sealed, they can be installed in any boats, given the usual installation issues. The only downside is the flu is rather taller than some older heaters.
Hope that helps.

Mark Langley  | 2.14PM, Monday 15 February

One thing I forgot to add- you must make sure that hot water from a colorifier cannot pass through the hot water heater- as this would make the water far too hot (with possibly dire consequences).
The BSS also prohibits dual heating of domestic water- so you would need a cold feed to the instananeous gas water heater, and then a Y-valve in the hot water side, to ensure that the hot water was drawn from either the calorifier OR the boiler, but NOT BOTH.
Hope that makes sense!

Mark Langley  | 11.23AM, Tuesday 16 February

Readers say:

Have you heard of an "hydrosonic water pump" ????
Also known as the "water cracker"
I don't know of what these cost, but they are 100% efficient and heat water instantaniously, have a look at this webpage and view the video for more info.

Lee Farrell  | 8.24PM, Sunday 14 February

Thank you very much everyone :)

Jenni McCalman  | 4.00PM, Monday 15 February

You must log in to post an answer.