Log in
Article search:

Q & A

Hanheld VHF

Taking my narrowboat on the Thames next month, need a cheap handheld vhf radio for a one of trip, any ideas please?

Asked by: Graham Little  | 5.41pm, Sunday 24 April

WW says:

Handheld VHF's can be picked up from around £70 from chandlers (particularly seagoing ones)- with a 3W or 4W output will suffice. They tend to have a better range than inland chandlers. Just be aware that the unit must be UK-type approved, as some bought on the internet are for specific european countries, or the USA, and the simplex/duplex channel allocation is not the same, and can lead to difficulties (as well as being illegal)
You will also need a Ships Radio Licence, for a portable radio- this will not give you an MMSI number, but will allow you to use the handset on your vessel. The licence is free from http://licensing.ofcom.org.uk/radiocommunication-licences/ships-radio/ Failure to register a radio is an offence- and you would be usually asked for your callsign
(allocated through the licence) when communicating with, say, Woolwich Barrier
It must be stressed that, as I am sure you know, you MUST have passed a VHF (short range) course and examination, to be able to use a VHF radio legally. Failure to have an operators
certificate of competance is a serious offence.
In the UK, the Royal Yachting Association runs one-day courses and exams throughout the country, often at local centres and night classes. You must have one before using any set, either fixed or portable, or the set must be used under the direct supervision of a qualified person.
http://www.rya.org.uk/coursestraining/courses/specialist/Pages/SRC.aspx gives information on the course.

Mark Langley  | 11.50PM, Tuesday 26 April

You must log in to post an answer.